Pin It button on image hover

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Persuasive Writing Mentor Text

I am preparing a short unit on persuasive writing and have been looking for some mentor texts.  I found somewhere that the book Earrings by Judith Viorst would be a good one.



What a cute book!  I read it to my class, and they loved it!  It is the story of a little girl who wants to get her ears pierced.  She is very dramatic in her telling of her story, which really keeps the kids engaged.  The book also gives good examples of persuasive writing in that it tells not only HOW badly she wants the earrings, but also WHY she should be allowed to get her ears pierced.  We read the book one day and then created our anchor chart for persuasive writing using this text the next day. 

Do you have any other good books that you use for persuasive writing?

4 comments:

Mrs. L said...

I love the story I Wanna Iguana. And the follow-up book I Wanna New Room. Both are super cute.
I hope that helps.
Life with Mrs. L

Jessica said...

I just read My Brother Dan's Delicious by Steven L. Layne with my 4th grade class. The main character becomes convinced that there's a monster in the house and tries to persuade the monster to eat his brother instead of him. Not only is it a great example of persuasive writing, but the book has some wonderful vocabulary and examples of figurative language. And alliteration abounds. My kids loved it.

Jennifer Gibson said...

Thanks so much for the recommendations! I will see about them. I had seen "My Brother Dan's Delicious" on a couple of other lists, but I was unable to get my hands on it before beginning my lesson. It sounds like one I would enjoy. Thanks again!

Mrs. Shepherd said...

Love this book recommendation!