Pin It button on image hover

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Notebook Connections

While traveling last week, I had the time to read Aimee Buckner's book Notebook Connections.  As I stated earlier, I am really looking to "beef up" my student's reading responses this year.  I have done workshop for a long time, and I have had my students respond to their reading, but not to the level that will help them to meet the CCSS.  This book was a great read and really broadened my ideas!
I am still considering having the students choose from a variety of writing choices as I discussed in my earlier post, but instead of having them choose one response for me to score, I think that I will use Ms. Buckner's more holistic approach and collect their notebooks every two weeks and give them a grade for variety and depth of entries in the notebook.  I will score the notebook and make one response in general to the four-five entries they have written.

Another goal for this year's reading workshop is to do a better job of using the notebooks while conferencing with students.  I work hard to meet with students quite frequently, but I do not do a great job of reviewing and discussing their notebook entries with them.  I want this to be an area where I grow this year.

I am now going to read Ms. Buckner's writing notebook book called Notebook KnowHow.  I am sure that, while it focuses on writing workshop, it will still help me to continue to fine-tune my thoughts on student responses to reading.

Have you read either of these books?  Do you have any ideas to share?


4321Teach said...

I ABSOLUTELY love Aimee Buckner and have read Notebook Connections and am currently reading Notebook Know How.
She has such amazing information in her books and have incorporated a great deal of what I have read about into the units I am creating.
So happy to have yet another Aimee Buckner blogging friend. :)

Brandee Green said...

I have read both and loved them. It has been a while and you have inspired me to re-read them. :)

I like where you are going with your response time and I think I do something similar in my room that might help. I require 3 written responses a week on their novel of choice and they choose the style of writing from a pretty wide open list with the exception of a few things I list on a rubric. I use the rubric to assess the pieces but I rarely actually grade them. We assess them together in a quick 5 minute conference so that they know exactly what the expect the following week. I have a schedule and conference with about 5 kids a day per class. I hope some of this rambling will be useful to you. :) Enjoy the second book. It truly is a great read. :)
Creating Lifelong Learners

Mrs. Corbitt said...

I am so glad you posted about this! I am looping up to 4th with my class and I am have been searching for ways to implement changes so that the group coming with me doesn't get bored/slack off. I am very much looking forward to reading both of these books now. Thanks again for the suggestions!!!

:) Nicole
Tadpole Tidbits

4321Teach said...

I know Antoinette already commented.
But I must agree.
I LOVE Aimee Buckner!
The fact that she still teaches really makes her ideas seem plausible. I also like that she has an awareness that notebooks must be graded, because as she says "that's the world we live in."


Jennifer Gibson said...

I am really enjoying the 2nd book, too. If I only had an unlimited day to teach the could get it all done.

Emily--her realism about grading really resonated with me, too! I hate grading. I want students to work hard and show progress. I don't care about A, B, C...I tell this to parents, too, and they basically get it, but in the end, they still care about the A, B, C. (I don't have a problem with that--as a parent, I still care about the A, too!)

Thanks so much for your comments!

حسام داود said...

شركة تنظيف بالرياض
شركة تنظيف فلل بالرياض
شركة تنظيف شقق بالرياض
شركة تنظيف مجالس بالرياض
شركة تنظيف خزنات بالرياض
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالرياض
شركة تخزين اثاث بالرياض
شركة تسليك مجارى بالرياض
شركة رش مبيدات بالرياض
شركة نظافه بالرياض
شركة تنظيف منازل بالرياض