Pin It button on image hover

Friday, July 1, 2011

History and Fun

You know you are becoming addicted to blogging when you are on vacation and just can't wait for a break so you can check out what's going on in blogworld!

My family and I are enjoying Philadelphia for a couple of days.  On our way out here, we were able to fit Gettysburg and Valley Forge in for some history learning.  We have really enjoyed the historical sites here in Philly, too.  I get chills thinking about the places we are visiting and the fact that George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, and Ben Franklin lived and walked in these same places.

We have been lucky to expose our boys to a lot of historical landmarks in our travels.  While it wears me out to lug them all over (often alone because my husband is in meetings), I think it is good for them to be able to have a real reference to the places talked about in history class.  It also allows me to be  a more engaging teacher because I am talking about places that I have actually been to.

Sometimes, they aren't thrilled with going to these places.   They would rather stay in the hotel and swim.  I believe it is worth a little fight now.  I believe they will be more enriched and better citizens because of these experiences.  I also know while every moment isn't a "lovely family moment" among the six of us while on vacation, we are making memories to last a life time!

1 comments:

Ashleigh said...

I could not agree with you more! My family took me on that type of vacation, and I am so thankful for it. I hope to do the same thing with my family (I may need to wait a couple of years).