Pin It button on image hover

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

A GREAT read aloud!





I have read Chasing Vermeer by Blue Balliett to my class for the last couple of years.  It is always a favorite, and a great way to incorporate some art history into our classroom.


The book trailer above will give you some basic ideas of this book if you are unfamiliar.  It is a mystery written for late elementary kids, but it acts as a great read-aloud for my 3rd graders.  As we read, we not only contemplate the mystery, but we also learn more about Vermeer and have fun with pentominoes.

The characters in this book are very likable, and they are great role models for learning, curiosity, and perseverance.  My students often like them so much that they can't wait to read the follow-up mysteries, The Wright 3, and The Calder Game


If you or your students are looking for still more information on this great book or the other two in the series, Scholasic has a great page on it, too!  Click HERE to access it.

I love read aloud.  :)


1 comments:

Mrs. Corbitt said...

Thank you-I am always looking for a great read aloud!!!